If you’re looking to Sell JDSU MTS 4000 C4000 ESAM Enterprise Service Tester
The Industry’s First Handheld Tester that Combines Advanced Fiber, Copper, xDSL, and Triple-Play Features
- Cost-effective, modular, and handheldplatform
- Large, 7-inch display (touchscreenoption)
- Flexible connectivity (WiFi/Bluetooth/1 G Ethernet/USB) andscripting capability for automaticdata reporting
- Up to two embedded modules forsimultaneous testing from thephysical layer to the service layer
- Fiber features include: OTDR, PONmeter, video inspection scope, lasersource/power meter, and VFL
- Copper measurements include:volt/ohm meter, TDR, resistive faultlocator, and wideband tones/spectralanalysis up to 30 MHz
- VDSL and ADSL testing featuresutilize Infineon Technologies chipsetand licensed option for Dr. DSL®diagnostic solutions from Aware,Inc.
- Triple-play service testing includesIPTV and VoIP measurements fromDSL access interfaces or standardEthernet port
- Automated scripting capability thatsimplifies testing and reporting
- Integrated web browser
Remarkable growth in triple-play services has created a complex mix of topologyscenarios for delivering voice, video, and data to the customer. Triple-play servicesrequire highly scalable and resilient infrastructures to deliver a high quality ofexperience (QoE). The increasing complexity and performance requirements oftoday’s access networks puts greater than ever demands on field servicetechnicians.
The JDSU T-BERD®/MTS-4000 offers the first multi-test platform that addressesthe complete requirements of field service technicians entrusted with theinstallation and maintenance of leading-edge fiber- and copper-based digitalsubscriber line (DSL) access networks and triple-play services.
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 gives service providers the power of a single instrumentthat provides complete triple-play access network and services testing, thusdramatically improving productivity. This one tool lets technicians completeservice calls faster with fewer call-backs (repeats), because it quickly identifies thecauses of nearly every possible problem. The modular design of the tester enablesmaximum flexibility and upgradeability and seamless support for futurerequirements and new testing capabilities, which provides continuous return oninvestment (RoI).
The lightweight T-BERD/MTS-4000 features a wide 7-inch color display with atouchscreen option that lets technicians easily view an actual Internet Protocoltelevision (IPTV) stream, web browser, or complex test results, such as an opticaltime domain reflectometry (OTDR) trace or spectrum analysis waveformanalysis.
Its unprecedented connectivity capabilities give the T-BERD/MTS-4000 platformmore uses than other test equipment with features and functionalities, such asremote assistance, remote control, testing automation, and wireless connection,making it an ideal companion in the field.
Install and Qualify the Fiber/Copper Architecture
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 provides thefull range of capabilities needed to testtoday’s various leading-edge fiber (FTTx)and copper access networks plus theexpandability needed to test the nextgeneration. The variety of testing technologiesoffered by the T-BERD/MTS-4000provide all of the testing functions thattechnicians need at every stage of thenetwork life cycle in a single, compact, andrugged unit:
- Inspect and qualify optical connectorswith a fiber inspection probe.
- Qualify the output power levels ofthe optical line termination (OLT)/central office (CO) switch with a powermeter (for a standard or passive opticalnetwork [PON]).
- Ensure end-to-end fiber connectivitywith a loss test set and/or visual faultlocator (VFL).
- Qualify and troubleshoot fiber networkswith an OTDR.
- Qualify and troubleshoot copperlines with a full suite of tests,including voltage current, resistance,opens, balance, load coil detection,plain old telephone service (POTS),tones, noise, spectral, time domainreflectometry (TDR), and RFL.
- Qualify xDSL for network support ofADSL through very high bit-rateDSL (VDSL2).
Turn Up the Services
Physical layer testing in the accessnetwork does not reveal all of the qualityof service (QoS) issues that impactpacket-based triple-play applications.Turning up triple-play services andassuring QoS is a multifaceted processthat requires comprehensive and exactingattentionto detail.TheT-BERD/MTS-4000provides a full collection of physical andtriple-play service testing features to ensureproper installation, provisioning, andmaintenance of reliable networks thatconsistently provide high-quality tripleplayservices.
- Validate the output power levels ofthe optical network terminal (ONT)with a standard or PONpowermeter.
- Validate Ethernet cable with TDR;fault, polarity, and skew results forGigabit Ethernet (GigE).
- Validate Ethernet with ping, traceroute, and file transfer protocol/hypertext transfer protocol (FTP/HTTP) tests.
- Simulate customer and test servicestests at the ONT using a browser toconfigure and then test triple-playservices suite.
- Validate voice over Internet Protocol(VoIP) with test results, includingboth R-factor and Mean OpinionScore (MOS) as well as content,transport, transaction, and physicallink quality.
- Validate IPTV with test features thatcan simulate IPTV by displayingthe status of 6 simultaneous streamsin terminate mode or 10 in monitormode and can decode and displayI-frames, packet loss analysis, QoStimeline, and jitter graphs.
Troubleshoot the Network
Troubleshooting the access network isthe most challenging field service taskfacing today’s telecommunications operators.Faults can come from almostanywhere including problems withtriple-play services, the copper or fiberalong the network, copper or fiber in thecustomer’s premises, home wiring, theset top box or ONT, or customer’s setup,such as a misconfigured personalcomputer (PC). In addition, the networkextends over a wide geographic area andcan be difficult to access, being close toor inside the customer premises.
Field service technicians who typicallyfocus on a single application—usuallycopper, fiber, or triple-play services—now must expand their skill set to addresstoday’s expansive range of possibleproblems.The T-BERD/MTS-4000 equipstechnicians with the ideal tool, becauseit provides all of the functionalityneeded to validate and troubleshootTriple-Play networks and services,such as:
- Testing the ONT using a browserand Triple-Play test suite tovalidate services
- Performing golden modem operationto troubleshoot common DSL problems
- Offering complete copper testing toisolate and resolve copper spanproblems
- Troubleshooting optical connectorswith a fiber inspection probe
- Determining equipment opticalinput/output power levels of the ONT using the standard or PONpower meter
- Conducting fiber fault locationand troubleshooting with an inservice OTDR and VFL
Manage the Process
Fiber optic and copper FTTx access networks and triple-play services present a greatertesting challenge to service technicians than ever before. The T-BERD/MTS-4000platform provides all of the testing capabilities needed to meet this challenge plusinnovative connectivity and automation capabilities thatmake it possible to lower costsand reduce the possibility of errors.The T-BERD/MTS-4000 can also interface directlywith automated workforce management solutions that are capable of managing thetesting process, yielding substantial improvements in operational efficiency.
Technicians can utilize the T-BERD/MTS-4000 browser letting them connect to theInternet to verify data services, contact online assistance, and download referencetraces and settings from a database. A 10/100/GigE and WiFi connection providesInternet connectivity. WiFi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity makes it easy totransfer data, such as results files, fromthe T-BERD/MTS-4000 platformto a laptopor personal data assistant (PDA) without the need for a cable or client application.Technicians can also use the test platform for e-mail or FTP communications suchas sending measurement results. A PDF/HTML viewer is provided to view documentsand manuals.
Internet connectivity can also be used to take full control of the T-BERD/MTS-4000froma remote location,making it possible to leverage the expertise of a single seniortechnician who can provide remote assistance without traveling to the customersite. Automatic software updates allow for keeping pace with test technologychanges and new test scripts.
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 lets technicians create scripts to automate testingprocedures making their jobs simpler and thus improving productivity,completeness, and accuracy. It also promotes easy implementation and enforcementof defined best practices that can ensure best-in-class service to customers andreduce churn.
Built-in intelligence manages the instrument through the test setup, execution,results storage, and results upload processes. It simplifies complex processes, whichare often reduced to the single push of a button. The new tester provides a widerange of connectivity options,making it easy to integrate scripts with the back officeto easily document, audit, and compare results against benchmarks.
Using the T-BERD/MTS-4000 automation features guarantee adherence to providersetthresholds for service performance. JDSU customers have achieved substantialsavings in time and money through automation of service turn-up and repair.
One Tool for Fiber,Copper, xDSL, and Services
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 provides an integrated approach toward field testingwith test support for specific application uses. Field-swappable modules areavailable for multi-service testing, and as many as two modules can runsimultaneously.
Bringing Fiber, Copper, and Triple-Play Services TestingCloser Together
In leading-edge fiber- and copper-based DSL access networks fiber and coppercoexist. Technicians may have to test both fiber and copper throughout thenetwork. The JDSU T-BERD/MTS-4000 offers test performance unlike whattechnicians have experienced previously: fiber-only testing, copper/xDSL-onlytesting with triple-play services, and fiber/copper/xDSL testing with triple-playservices.
Complete Fiber Optics Test Solution
During FTTx network installation and maintenance, field technicians mustaccurately and completely characterize the fiber link. In addition to built-infunctionality, the T-BERD/MTS-4000 meets advanced fiber test needs.
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 has built-in, basic fiber optic test options for quick andeasy verification of fiber links:
- Power level measurement: The broadband power meter lets technicians easilyverify the presence of a signal. This meter covers 850 to 1550 nm over a range of+10 to ?60 dBm.
- Visual fault location: The VFL enables easy and visual break localization andnetwork connectivity check.
- Optical connector inspection via USB interface: The optional Inspect BeforeYou Connect fiber inspection probe enables quick and easy control of connectorend faces.
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 also has these dedicated fiber optic modules available:
- Last Mile OTDR Module with built-in loss test set option: Suits the installation,turn-up, and maintenance testing of Access/FTTx networks and featuresindustry-leading OTDR performance. It offers up to three simultaneous testwavelengths (between 1310, 1550, 1625, and 1650 nm) and can perform out-ofserviceas well as in-service PON testing.Using the same port as the OTDR, a losttest set is also available to easily perform quick fiber identification, power level,and insertion loss measurements.
- PON Selective Power Meter Module: Analyzes FTTx/PON-based systems andoffers Through Mode testing that allows simultaneous measurement of PONdownstream wavelengths (1490 and 1550 nm) and the upstream wavelength(1310 nm). Themodule also offers a BurstMode function that supports analysisat 1310 nm. Pre-define pass/fail thresholds on the instrument to simplifymeasurements and ensure easy-to-interpret results, while the module GUIensures that users will not miss the temporary collapsing signal.
The JDSU FiberTrace and FiberCable PC analysis software transfers data and generatescomprehensive reports.The proof-of-performance report can be easily customized, forinstance to include pass/fail indicators for quick analysis of problemareas.
Complete Copper/Triple-Play Services Test Solution
Copper technologies and services in access networks evolve quickly because ofconsumer demand for high-speed Internet access, video on demand, and otherapplications. As a result, network operators must equip crews with one scalable,easy-to-use test tool that performs fast, accuratemeasurements under any condition.
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 has built-in and optional features for comprehensivecopper testing and Internet Protocol (IP) service-level testing:
- Complete Copper Testing: Perform copper testing, including digital volt-ohmmeter (DVOM), time division reflectometry, wideband transmissionimpairment measurement set (TIMS), spectral noise, and resistive fault locator(RFL). Wideband test capabilities allow for copper troubleshooting and linequalifications testing up to 30 MHz for VDSL services.
- xDSL Testing: Verify the circuit and service with modem emulation andreplacement for asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL), ADSL2, ADSL2+,and VDSL2. Aware’s Technician Dr. DSL lets field technicians troubleshootcommon DSL problems through source identification and calculating the datarate impact of each disturber.
- Triple-Play Testing: Conduct advanced tests for the installation andmaintenance of DSL and PON-based Triple Play. Turn-up and troubleshootIPTV services that carry video program content over access networks, includingsupport for all video QoS measurements.
- VoIP Testing: Turn up and troubleshoot VoIP service connectivity; featureavailability and voice quality; and conduct IP ping, packet statistic, and traceroute analysis to identify, diagnose, and sectionalize VoIP network andequipment problems.
The Ideal Platform for Testing Next-GenerationAccess Networks and Services
Complete All-in-One FTTx Network Test Solution
The T-BERD/MTS-4000 targets field technicians whomust performmultilayer testsstarting from the physical layer, with both copper and optical fiber qualification, toWifi, Ethernet, xDSL as well as IP triple-play tests (IP video, VoIP, and IP Data).
In one unit, the T-BERD/MTS-4000 includes all the features of the complete FiberOptics Test Solution and the complete Copper/Triple-Play Services test solution.
Both the Fiber Optics or Copper/Triple-Play Services test solutions can be upgradedlater to the all-in-one platform.
Ensuring a positive customer experience requires testing the access network and theservices before the customer uses them. The T-BERD/MTS-4000 provides a singleplatform that deliver complete testing of copper- and fiber-based access networksand services with the highest levels of performance, convenience, and upgradeabilityon the market.
JDSU C4000 ESAM Enterprise Services Application Module
Today’s Information technology (IT) networks are more complex than ever with Voice over Internet Protocol (IP), IP security cameras, presence, and remote applications being run over high-speed copper, fiber and wireless infrastructure. Complexity
that was once confined to the data center is now finding its way closer and closer to the user causing the front-line IT technician to need to resolve a far greater range of faults than ever before. With even minor network faults having the potential to render employees unproductive, keeping the network up is now a mission-critical task. The ESAM addresses these challenges of modern networks with a modern approach.
Through its intuitive workflow-based user interface the Enterprise Services Application Module (ESAM) for the JDSU T-BERD/MTS-4000 modular platform provides users with physical media tests including speed-certification of electrical Ethernet cabling, network connectivity tests, discovery, wire-speed deep-packet statistics, and wire-speed protocol capture and expert analysis using unique, in-depth JDSU J-Mentor capabilities.
Test connectivity is obtained either electrically via a 10/100/1000 RJ-45 Ethernet jack or via an SFP for optical Ethernet.
Physical Media Tests
All the features of the JDSU Validator line Ethernet speed certifier are included in the ESAM. After loading the job onto the ESAM, the technician can run auto-tests for wiremap, length, signal-to-noise ratio, skew, and bit error rate tests using standard and user-defined cable types. Passing these tests ensures that the cable can support 1000BASE-T. All of the auto tests can also be performed manually as can tone generation and ID-only mapping.
Network Connectivity Tests
Once the physical media has been tested and confirmed to support Ethernet, the technician can test for connectivity to active Ethernet devices on a single drop. If Power over Ethernet (PoE) is supplied, the pins, voltage, and current can be checked to ensure it matches the requirements of the powered device. Port discovery will confirm that the Ethernet interface is advertising the correct speed and duplex options, avoiding optional duplex-mismatch issues. The next connectivity test will attempt to obtain an IP address using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) (static configuration is also possible). Duplicate IP addresses will be flagged to the user’s attention. Once an IP configuration is obtained, the ESAM can perform Ping, TraceRoute, and Domain Name System (DNS) connectivity tests to ensure connectivity to various network devices. Firewalls can also be tested by Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)/User Datagram Protocol (UDP) connectivity tests to verify that particular TCP/UDP ports are open or blocked. If Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) and/or Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) are used in the network, the analyzer can read these messages and report them to the user. If issues are observed during many of the connectivity tests, the technician can chose to view a capture of all frames sent and received for that specific test allowing in-depth root-cause analysis.
Once the technician has confirmed basic connectivity to the network, they may have the need to discover what devices are on the network. Using active and passive discovery methods from an individual Ethernet drop, the technician can discovery a wide range of devices both within the users subnetwork and beyond. Presented with a graphical view of the discovered devices, the technician can drill into details about specific network elements. By configuring Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) password strings, network devices can be queried and the various details can be viewed by the technician. Any obvious problems in the network will be highlighted to the user.
Once the user drills into details about a specific element they can view details such as MAC/IP addresses. If SNMP is enabled on the network additional information such as interface utilization, packet rates, and errors can be viewed.
By connecting to an Ethernet aggregating Test Access Port (TAP) or switch mirror port, the analyzer can gather statistics at full line speed. Utilization statistics can be viewed by link, VLAN, and Subnetwork. Link utilization can be viewed and broken down by unicast, broadcast, multicast, and errored frames. Protocol distribution on the link can be viewed allowing to user to identify what protocols are consuming link capacity. Top-talkers on the link will be identified to the user. Pre-defined and user defined wire-speed packet/byte counters allow the user to view statistics by specific protocols and events.
Packet Capture and Expert Analysis
Hardware-based packet capture ensures that all frames are captured – even at sustained full gigabit line rate. The 1 Gigabyte capture buffer allows for a large amount of data to be captured. Captured traffic is stored in packet capture (PCAP) format and can be analyzed with Wireshark – both on and off the tester. Pre-capture filters and triggers can be applied to ensure that the correct frames are captured at the correct time. Expert analysis via J-Mentor reduces the need to be an expert in analyzing captured data.
- Perform all-in-one enterprise testing: verify that copper cables support gigabit Ethernet, test network connectivity (from Ethernet interface discovery to Layer 4 Port connectivity), discover network devices both on and off the subnet, collect statistics and analyze network utilization/traffic patterns, and perform wirespeed capture on gigabit Ethernet links
- Speed certify electrical Ethernet up to 1000BASE-T
- Isolate and resolve Ethernet or IP problems in the field using unique, in-depth JDSU J-Mentor capture and decode capabilities
- Provides Layer 1-7 protocol capture and expert analysis
- Offers wirespeed deep packet statistics and analysis
- Tests network connectivity
- Performs network discovery
- Conducts a full range of physical media tests
- Offers a workflow-based user interface